In The Event Of A Shooter - RUN, HIDE, FIGHT
IF YOU RECEIVE A WARNING OF A SHOOTING ON CAMPUS:
If safe to do so, leave the building or area as quickly and safely as possible. Once you reach safety, call the Campus Safety & Security at 808-675-3503 or call 911 with the following info:
- Number of shooters, physical description and clothing
- Type of weapon(s)
- Potential victims
If you are unable to leave the building, go to a room that can be closed, locked or barricaded by using available materials and furniture.
- Close window blinds or curtains. Turn off the lights. Silence your phones.
- If you cannot reach a securable room, look cautiously for a safe nearby location that provides cover.
- Be out of active shooter's view. Silence your phones.
- Do not move from your safe space until it is safe or you receive direct communication from Campus Safety & Security or law enforcement.
As a last resort, and only when your life is in imminent danger, attempt to disrupt and act as aggressively as possible against the shooter by:
- Throwing items and improvising weapons. ie. spray a Fire Extinguisher in the face as the suspect enters the room, strike with a stick, chair, etc.
- Commit to incapacitate the shooter by your actions
WHEN LAW ENFORCEMENT ARRIVES:
- Remain calm and follow the officers' instructions
- Keep your hands visible at all times
- Avoid making quick movements towards officers or trying to hold on to them for safety